One of my favorite new podcasts is “How to take over the world” by Ben Wilson.
It’s exactly what the title means.
I spoke to the host about the 5 traits that icons like, Jobs, Edison, & Napoleon, had in common.
Spoiler: here they are.
1/ High Energy
2/ Part Insider & Outsider
4/ Specific Eating Habits
5/ Hung out in Packs
Listen in to hear about the energy, charisma, and common traits of people like Jobs, Edison, Napoleon, and Alexander the Great. Plus, we hit on more topics like the following:
- How Ben came up with the name and concept of his podcast
- Traits you need to have to take over the world
- The energy of the people who are the best in their fields
- How to maximize where energy goes
- The function of charisma
- What it means to be half-insider half-outsider
- An unexpected common trait among leaders
- Half-baked startup ideas that Ben has
DID YOU MISS LAST WEEK’S EMAIL? Here are the top articles.
People enjoyed the story of how I met my co-founder and our path to $2M ARR. And 20% of you wanted to know new ways to calculate ROAS on Facebook Ads.
Here are the articles that caught my attention this week:
🚀 What is a Launch Pad Business? (And why you need one.)
“Before thinking of building an Amazon or Apple, you have to think of your business as a ‘launchpad’ first. That’s because even if you have a rocket, you can’t go to space without a launchpad.”
A Launchpad business is:
- A biz that gives you freedom
- Makes $100–200k a year in personal income to build your bedrock
- Allows you to try new things
💼 How this DTC Got Profitable, While It’s Rivals Are Bleeding Cash
Founded in 2015, Encinitas, California-based Vuori has been profitable since 2017. This past week, it announced that it had raised $400 million from mega-investor SoftBank’s second Vision Fund, valuing the company at $4 billion.
The secret, according to Vuori founder and CEO Joe Kudla, has been bucking trends at every turn. “We couldn’t be on farther ends of the spectrum in terms of how we built these businesses,” Kudla says of his DTC counterparts.
Lots of great advice in here for any D2C founder that’s focused on profitability over growth.
3️⃣ The Three-Hour Brand Sprint: GV’s Simple Recipe For Getting Started On Your Brand
Need to build a brand in a short timerfame? The Brand Sprint consists of six exercises. First, you’ll think about your company’s motivation:
- 20-Year Roadmap helps you think long-term.
- What, How, Why reminds you why your company exists.
Next, you’ll add detail:
- Top 3 Values makes your why more specific.
- Top 3 Audiences helps you prioritize the target for your brand.
Finally, you’ll position your brand relative to others:
- Personality Sliders defines the attitude and style of your brand.
- Competitive Landscape compares your brand to other companies.
🌱 50 Ways to Use Leverage to Automate & Scale Your Life
Leverage is everywhere. You felt it as a kid shooting peas across the room with a spoon. Or when you first used a calculator, and wondered why your teachers made you do long division by hand for 3 years.
As we grow, our levers get bigger. The adult version of “wow that pea bounced off the ceiling!” Maybe we marvel at the use of a nail gun, getting 100 views on a Youtube video, or hiring a house cleaner.
This post talks about all the levers you can use in your day-to-day life. Here are some of my favorite:
- “Set up my partner’s phone (Find My – Apple) to ping me when she leaves work so I know when to start dinner… now need someone/thing to handle dinner “
- “I recorded a screenshare of the introduction call I do with potential new clients then posted it to my website”
- “Home automation – I have bedroom lights that auto-turn on every morning instead of an alarm clock. Much nicer way to way up. I also set up a routine to turn on evening lighting 30 min before sunset. Alexa will turn off all the lights when I say ‘goodnight’.”
💰How to Go from Freelancer to 7 Figure Agency (a 20 Step Guide)
How do you go from freelancer to running a multi-million dollar agency?
There are 20 things I did (good and bad) to pull this off. And I hope it can help you.
See the entire twitter thread here.
But, here are some of my favorites:
- Niche down to own a category
- Be relentless about a flawless onboarding process
- Focus on your cash conversion cycle
Want more content like this? Join my email list or listen to my podcast, If I Was Starting Today.