$2M in sales, acquire a company, and wrestle one grizzly bear.
Last week I reflected on my 2020.
Today, I’m talking about my 2021 goals.
One problem: I hate goal setting.
Why? I don’t hit my goals andIf I do hit a goal I don’t even celebrate it.
Your systems are what will make or break your progress on the goals.
But, goals are good for setting a direction so I will comply.
Here are my high level goals for 2021, my systems around them and some themes I’m working on for the year.
My 2021 Goals:
- Get GrowthHit to $2,000,000 in sales
- Hit 15,000 email subscribers
- Implement Scaling Up framework at GrowthHit (Fire myself from day-to-day client work)
- Publish 30 podcast episodes
- Make one acquisition through Hit Lab Ventures (my investment company)
- Get FunnelTeardowns to 75 teardowns
My Systems for 2021:
- Read for 30 minutes per day (Confession: these are audiobooks)
- Publish one piece of content per week (email and podcast)
- Batch GrowthHit work into Monday-Thursday. Leave Friday open for deep work
- Identify my one big action item per day that aligns with my goals
- Do 100 push ups per day
- Intermittent fasting 4 days per week (aka skip the pancakes on weekdays)
My Themes for 2021:
JUST SAY “NO”
I have a “yes” problem. My knee jerk reaction to everything is yes bc I am a people pleaser and I don’t want to miss out on opportunities. Some of the best opportunities in my career came out of saying yes to everything. However, time is limited especially as one’s career grows so I must change my approach. If it’s not a hell yes then it must default to a no.
DEFAULT TO DELEGATION
The strength of the CEO is usually the weakness of the company. This rings true for GrowthHit. If I can fire myself from tedious client work and empower specialist to do it then I can actually work on growing the business and it’ll improve our work. Delegation is the form of leverage that allows us to get there. This is easier said then done.
In 2019, I was playing basketball 2-3 times per week. In 2020, my basketball addiction got crushed because of the pandemic. I miss actually playing a sport. In 2021, I am going deeper on golf because I’m less likely I’ll tear an ACL playing, it’s a socially distant sport, and it’s something I can play for the next 20+ years.
BECOME A “REAL” MAN
As a dad of young girls (1 and 3), I’m realizing I need to up my dad-game to impress these little ladies. For me, that means becoming handy around the house, building sh*t, killing spiders, and knowing how to wrestle a grizzly bear. This year I am perfecting my fire-starting game in my home fireplace and our outdoor firepit. And I want to build my wife something with my own hands. Maybe I’ll build her a boat . . . or a step stool.
UNPLUG W/ ART
I’m Jim and I’m a workaholic. I need to unplug. Also, I miss being creative so my goal is to do something that involves the right side of my brain. In 2020, I made this piece of art. In 2021, I want to make an even bigger one for our house. Watch out ETSY I’m coming your way.